Good water catches fire; residents in shock
Manglauru: Residents living in Kanakere in Deralakatte were in
for a shock when they noticed traces of oil inside their wells. They got anxious when
they found the water catching fire.
The word that water in three wells in Kanakere caught fire caused panic, and people started thronging to witness the phenomenon. Officials from the fire and emergency services, Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) and police rushed to the spot, and they are yet to ascertain the reason for the contamination of well water with petroleum products.
Residents got the smell of petrol or diesel in the water lifted from three wells in Kanakere. The experiment done by residents proved that the water lifted from the wells is inflammable. A pot containing water lifted from one of the wells caught fire when villagers threw lit matchsticks into it.
“We got a foul smell in the water from three wells in the area, three months ago. Now it is confirmed that the water cannot be used for drinking, as it is emitting a smell of petroleum products. Today, we noticed that the water is inflammable too. Many residents here have been facing difficulties since there is no availability of potable water, and the water cannot even be used for watering plants,” said a villager.
Villagers say that they have no clue as to how the wells got contaminated with inflammable oil.
Regional fire officer G Thippeswami said they found petroleum products mixed in the well water. “We have informed IOC and the police in order for them to conduct an investigation. We are not sure about the reason for the water getting contaminated with petroleum products,” he added.